Friday, April 23, 2021

AECP Level 2 Card 10 - Masking Unleashed

 Masking is often something that scares people but it is actually really easy. It does require some fussy cutting but the extra effort is so worth it and lucky for me, I love fussy cutting! For my card, I chose to use positive masking techniques and made a mini slimline size card - just for a change!

Using the Altenew Spring Daisy Stamp Set
I began by using the actual stamps to layer up onto the card panel and help me plan my design.
I used some post-it paper to stamp and fussy cut around each image. The idea is to create a new design by using masks to shield some of the subsequent stamping and thereby create a layered look.

TIP: Always stamp the image you want to appear in the foreground FIRST, then use a masked image over that first stamped image. In that way, when the mask is removed, the second image will appear as though it is tucked behind the first image. 
This does require a bit of planning but it is fun and really quite easy to achieve once you get the hang of it! 

I used 2 sizes of flowers and 2 different leaves and if you use a good masking paper, you can keep these masks for future use on other projects. 

I continued to stamp and mask my design until I was happy, then I started to colour my panel.
I decided to use Altenew Crisp Die inks like watercolour paint as they are water-reactive. I created a fun, whimsical, happy rainbow of flowers, once again being careful to add more concentrated colour in areas where the petals join the centre and at the base of leaves. 
I used black ink to splatter on the background and white acrylic pain which I watered down with a little water to splatter over the flowers and leaves.
The sentiment is from Dahlia Blossoms Stamp Set
which I stamped using Versafine Onyx Black ink and heat setting it with clear embossing powder. I cut down the card panel by 1/4" on all sides and added a black cardstock panel under this, cutting it 1/8" larger so as to create a black border to frame the image. This was then adhered with foam tape to the card base which measures 6 1/4" x 3 1/3".
Some black enamel dots from my stash scattered around the sentiment completed the card.

This is the last of the 10 card projects for Level 2. I will await the final challenge project and add this to my blog when I am complete!

Roll on Certification!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. fantabulous!!
    Thank you for submitting your work to the AECP assignment gallery.